The worship on a Sunday benefits from the support of our choir. The choirmaster and organist is Mr Robin Bell and through his connections the church has hosted a variety of very enjoyable organ recitals over the years.
The Binns Organ
The pipe organ, by James Jepson Binns (1855 – 1928) of the Bramley Organ Works, Leeds, was installed in 1902. The Church holds a certificate from the British Institute of Organ Studies which records the organ as Grade 1 in the institute’s register of Historic Pipe Organs – a high and rare honour, due to it being an outstanding example of Binns’ work in original condition.
The solid construction of the organs earned them the nickname ‘Battleship Binns’ and examples of his work show the influence of the German builder Schulze.
Restoration & Preservation
The organ was originally refurbished in 1984 by David Loosley and the opening recital was given by Robin Bell, then Organ Scholar at Glasgow University.
The Church has endeavoured to restore and preserve the organ for future generations and in addition to our own fundraising efforts, the Church received grant funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and Falkirk Environmental Trust. The restoration work begun in September 2011 and was undertaken by A.S. Edmonstone and was completed in September 2012.
Robert Dobbie of Beechmount
Until 1902, a harmonium was used in the Church. It was then that the aforementioned Binns organ was gifted by local ironfounder Robert Dobbie of Beechmount. On the organ case there is a brass plaque which reads:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Anno Salutis MDCCCCII
The air to drive the pipes, came at first from an “engine” fitted with a governor (to stabilise its speed) and driven by mains water. The engine then operated bellows. This arrangement continued, not without problems, until 1950 when an electric blower was installed at a cost of £159. The gift of the organ in effect, serves as a memorial to a man who did so much for the people of Larbert and Stenhousemuir, and whose leadership (convener) graced the church founding committee of 1897 and the Trustees until 1904.
During the semi-jubilee celebration of 1925 the chairman remarked that the organ reminded them, by its sweet tones, Sunday after Sunday, of its large-hearted, generous donor.